10.07.2008

South Africa

What is an education? Why might it be said that a designer should see certain things to complete his or her education? What are those sights (or sites!) and what do they "teach"?

An education is was is learned be it from a school lecture, book, experiment, or first hand encounter. As a Designer I tend to learn most from the latter. As I have found out though my journey to becoming an architect I have found the most valuable was of learning was through the form of travel. Travel offers a sense of freedom and surprise. It allows for one to follow their own path of interest and more importantly enables one to take knowledge into their own hands.

As a designer I don't believe that it is possible where to tell someone to go based on the fact that interests shift from person to person. What I have found to be the best way to travel is to go where you want. This is what I love so much about traveling...the freedom.

I have had the unique opportunity to travel to many places through out the World ranging from the U.S., Canada, Europe, Africa and Asia. All of which taught me more than I could ever imagine. One of the most inspirational trips for me was my trip to South Africa where I spent three weeks going from Capetown to Namibia, then Botswana to Zimbabwe. Here I was able to experience multiple architectural forms ranging from the most elaborate to the most humble-all of which built upon my base of book knowledge acquired from my academic career.



No comments: