10.07.2008

Baghdad, Iraq

Travel is an outlet that offers an opportunity for people with different cultures to interact and in turn allows people to experience things out of their own norms. This is also a great way for people to see ones own culture in relationship to others. Through out my travels I have come across many different cultures. What I have found is that even if the traveler doesn't really know what ones culture is it is possible to figure that out abroad. I also believe that by interacting with these cultures you can adapt and partake in their everyday life as a respectful observer to further understand these foreign ways of life.
When thinking of the word "threshold", I look at it in its most literal architectural definition as a boundary separating two spaces. This idea does play a major role in travel. Here it describes a metaphorical transition into a new unknown environment. I feel that a destination that brings up this issue of threshold would have to be a place like Baghdad, Iraq. Obviously given our current war in this country this would not be a safe trip but I do feel that it would be an amazing opportunity to explore the "other side" so to speak and see how architecture plays a role in war torn countries.
Iraq, is a country in Western Asia spanning most of the northwestern end of the Zagros mountain range, the eastern part of the Syrian Desert and the northern part of the Arabian Desert. It shares borders with Kuwait and Saudi Arabia to the south, Jordan to the west, Syria to the northwest, Turkey to the north, and Iran to the east. It has a very narrow section of coastline at Umm Qasr on the Persian Gulf. There are two major flowing rivers: the Tigris and the Euphrates. These provide Iraq with agriculturally capable land and contrast with the desert landscape that covers most of Western Asia.
The capital city, Baghdad, is in the center-east. Iraq's rich history dates back to ancient Mesopotamia. The region between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers is identified as the cradle of civilization and the birthplace of writing (which I believe would be a great place to visit especially for all of the graphic design majors).
I believe that by exploring this city one would be able to see how architecture serves as both a form of protection as well as more than a structure but a piece of life. Something that can be built and just as easily taken away.




No comments: