10.09.2008

Doctors Without Borders



I find this weeks label a little troublesome, because I think it's missing something. I don't know why a person would travel to find a problem if that is all they intended to do. Now if they traveled to find a problem in order to help solve the problem, that is a completely different scenario. But if you just want to find a problem you don't need to travel very far, if at all. We all find problems at home, in our country, in our school, and ourselves. I know this extremely bleak and for some reason I don't really feel like talking about design this week. When I first saw the "find a problem" label the first thing I thought of was Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF). I was bumming around on their website and I found out that they are conducting a touring refugee camp exhibition. This is an interactive exhibition where "guided by MSF aid workers, visitors are asked to imagine that they are among the millions of people fleeing persecution in, for example, Somalia, Colombia, the Democratic Republic of Congo, or Sudan.The exhibit is made up of materials used by MSF in its emergency medical work around the world, including emergency refugee housing, a food distribution tent, water pump, health clinic, vaccination tent, therapeutic feeding center, and a cholera treatment center"(doctorswithoutborders.org). This exhibit started in Canada and will be making several stops throughout California. As much as I didn't want to discuss design, this is a designed exhibit of a designed experience that could be valuable for designers looking for ways to create alternative solutions for horrific situations.

No comments: