9.30.2008

Pakistan





The one place I am intrigued with is Pakistan. Pakistan is my neighboring country as it is situated on the border of India but I have not got the opportunity to visit the country yet due to the political strife. Pakistan was once a part of British India but it became independent in 1947. The spilt 1947 between the Hindus and Muslims gave rise to a new state, today known as Pakistan.
In New York I have been surrounded by Pakistanis and I believe that Pakistan has many similar traditions as India though some of the religious and cultural beliefs are very different. Hearing about the culture through them and also watching Pakistan in Bollywood movies I would like to go to witness the traditions. It will also clear some of my stereotypes and will make me appreciate and relate more to my own Indian culture.
Pakistan has a very rich history as one of the world's most ancient civilizations was discovered in the Sindh province of Pakistan. The Indus Valley Civilization which was excavated by archaeologists in the city Mohenjodaro had great architecture and city planning. It was beautifully and brilliantly designed and I learnt about it in detail in my South Asian History class. The houses they constructed were very well suited for the climate and there drainage system was also quite advanced.
A lot of the artifacts and ancient scripts and engravings still remain today though most of the architecture did not survive. Anthropologists have found evidence that it was a very well developed city . Therefore a designer or an architect should visit this place to study their art objects and urban planning as the earliest Indian art emerged from there.
Hence i believe that since Pakistan was once a part of my own country, visiting it would teach me a lot about my own culture.

- Radha Kapoor

No comments: